Spinal discs are gel-filled structures that sit between the bones of your spinal column. They help absorb forces and improve the mobility of your spine. Injuries to these structures, such as disc herniation, can cause a great deal of pain and dysfunction. If you're worried that you might have a herniated disc, we encourage you to discover how our chiropractor in Bakersfield, CA can help.
What is a Herniated Disc?
Spinal discs (also called intervertebral discs) have a tough cartilaginous outer layer. A tear in this outer layer can allow the inner gel-like fluid to leak out into the surrounding area, causing inflammation and compression on nearby structures such as spinal nerves and joint capsules.
Anyone can experience a herniated disc, especially after traumatic accidents like car crashes, falls, or sports injuries. People who may be more likely to suffer from a herniated disc include people who:
- Do a lot of repetitive bending, lifting, and twisting of the spine
- Are older
- Are sedentary
- Sit a lot at work or, conversely, have very physically demanding jobs
- Smoke (which decreases the flow of oxygen to the discs, causing them to be more susceptible to tissue damage)
Symptoms of Herniated Disc
A herniated disc can occur anywhere in the spine but usually is found in the neck and lower back. If the damaged disc material compresses on spinal nerve roots, a person might experience pain, numbness, tingling, and/or weakness in an arm or leg. Other signs and symptoms of a herniated disc include stiffness and muscle spasms near the location of the injured disc.
Why See a Chiropractor For Herniated Disc Treatment
An experienced chiropractor can help people find relief for their herniated discs by:
- Providing gentle manual techniques and spinal adjustments that calm the nervous system, decrease pain, and facilitate healing
- Implementing non-surgical decompression to help retract damaged disc material back into alignment, can relieve nerve compression
- Offering other non-invasive modalities, including acupuncture and nutritional counseling to promote whole-body wellness
- Prescribing personalized exercises and stretches to help reduce inflammation, promote tissue healing, and restore spinal alignment and core muscle strength and stamina
- Assessing and improving a patient's body mechanics during daily activities to prevent recurring stress on spinal discs and joints
At our chiropractic clinic, we can help you get relief from your herniated disc symptoms as quickly as possible, so you can get back to the activities and hobbies you love!
Are You Ready for Relief From Herniated Disc Symptoms?
Call Tatsuno Chiropractic, Inc. today at (661) 322-6021 to schedule an appointment with Bakersfield chiropractor Dr. Matt Tatsuno.