Did you know that chiropractic care can treat sciatica? Our chiropractor in Bakersfield, CA determines the root cause of this painful condition in patients, including pregnant women seeking prenatal chiropractic, and design drug-free treatment plans to correct the problem. The first step is to schedule a consultation at Tatsuno Chiropractic, Inc.
What Is Sciatica?
Sciatica, also called sciatic nerve pain, is a condition that causes leg pain along with many other lower body symptoms. This pain is caused by compression of the sciatic nerve and radiates from the affected nerve root in the lower back, hips, buttocks, or legs.
What Causes Sciatic Nerve Pain?
Common causes of sciatica include pressure on the nerve from a dislocated spinal joint, degenerative disc disease, buttock muscle spasms, and narrowing of the spinal canal (spinal stenosis). Risk factors for the condition include pregnancy, obesity, living a sedentary lifestyle, osteoarthritis, or labor intensive work.
Symptoms depend on where the sciatic nerve is affected and the severity of the underlying condition. Common symptoms include:
- Sharp, dull, burning, or debilitating lower back pain
- Sharp shooting or electric shock-like leg pain
- Pain that travels down one or both legs
- Pain worsens when you stand, sit, twist, cough, or sneeze
- Heaviness or weakness of the leg
- Numbness or a pins-and-needles sensation down the leg
Sciatica Treatment from Our Bakersfield, CA Chiropractor
Chronic or debilitating sciatic nerve pain may force you to seek chiropractic care. When you visit us for treatment, Dr. Matt will do a physical exam, leg raise test, X-ray, MRI, and/or a nerve test to diagnose your symptoms. We can then tailor a treatment plan that can include these non-surgical modalities for lower back and leg pain:
- Y-Strap Decompression Adjustment: Y-Strap decompression is a manual spinal decompression technique that uses a special strap to release pressure along the spine by gradually stretching the spine. It also effectively adjusts the vertebral joints and restores alignment. The technique works to return a protruding disc to its natural position, lift pressure off the affected nerve, loosen up restricted joints, and reduce inflammation.
- Massage Therapy: The gentle hand motions of massage therapy help relax tense muscles, releases the body's natural painkiller, and increases blood circulation to target tissues to enhance healing.
- Nutrition and Detoxification: As part of our "whole person" approach to healing, we may recommend a diet rich in vital nutrients that eliminate toxins in the body and alleviate inflammation and pain.
Contact a Chiropractor You Can Trust
Tatsuno Chiropractic, Inc. continues to provide natural pain solutions to residents in, Bakersfield, CA and the surrounding areas. Call (661) 322-6021 to schedule an appointment today.